I'm having an extension, do I need a certificate?

Yes, you will need to find a certified electrician  that is a member of the CPS scheme such as NAPIT. If the works need to be notified then the electrician will notify the works on your behalf to the local council. 

You will then receive a Part P certificate in the post and the electrician will also provide you with a test certificate once the job is complete.